Friday, September 14, 2012

Hello Inca Gold Brand Farm


After two planes, a train, a bus and a car ride, I arrived in Lynden, Washington (a small town ten minutes from Canada), at the first farm: Inca Gold Brand Farm. Before I entered the iron gate, I should have known that this farm was going to be “different.” There were clues all over their WWOOF profile. They claim to “coexist” with hundreds of animals and there is even an image of a man cuddling with eight dogs (but upon further review, it is seven dogs and a pig). They grow a horned fruit called the “Cuke Asaurus”. My contact with the farm typed in all caps. I should have known that this place was going to be “different.”
Upon entering the first gate to the farm, I was greeted by a dog which was just like any other dog and even reminded me of my own dog. It was a normal dog. Unfortunately, there was another gate. But behind this gate, everything I know and love about normality ceased to exist. The moment we opened the second gate I heard the excitement of my real greeting party. And the moment my host opened the door to the house, I saw my real greeting party: 14 dogs. Within a few seconds I was surrounded by these dogs and within just a few more seconds, I had stepped in poop and a large, black, shaggy dog was peeing on my luggage. Hello Inca Gold Brand Farm.
Feeding time in the goat/turkey/
peacock/goose/llama pen
Although those first two paragraphs may have made it seem although I am not happy at this farm, I am actually loving it here. There are so many animals. They rescue stray dogs from Chile, ranging from a Chihuahuas recovering from a skin illness to blind dog named Eddy. Roosters roam free and kindly let us know what the sun has risen. They also have a pen which is home to goats, turkeys, peacocks, geese and llamas all living happily together. I am sure that they have pushed the boundaries on how fat a cow and pig can possibly get (they actually almost got ticketed by an inspector for over feeding the animals). And my personal favorite aspect of this farm, they have emus. Emus!!!!!!
Cuke Asaurus in action
These animals are just pets, so their only crop is the Cuke Asaurus. The logical next question is “well gee Matt, what is a Cuke Asaurus?” I’m happy you asked. The Cuke Asaurus is what happens when you cross a cucumber and a dinosaur. When ripe, these spiky, orange, softball sized, fruits are great in smoothies, mixed drinks or eaten raw. Unfortunately, due to a poor growing season, we pick them green and they taste like a tart cucumber; however, the farmers are not concerned because they have another growing season in Chile which will be much more fruitful.
Over my first few days here, I have learned more about real life than I had ever imagined I would. Upon bringing up that I am from Washington D.C. during my ride from the bus station to the farm, I learned my first lesson: that everything east of the Mississippi River should fall off the face of the Earth, especially those damn politicians and lawyers (sorry Mom and Dad, apparently you got to go). I learned that expiration dates on meats mean nothing and subsequently that vegetarianism isn’t actually all that bad. But most importantly, I have learned to live your life however you want to. If you want to grow a tropical horned fruit in northern Washington, do it. If you want to coexist with hundreds of animals, do it. If you want to do something, do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment